WHO says diphtheria infected over 1,300 people in Yemen

CAIRO — The World Health Organization says a diphtheria outbreak in war-torn Yemen has spread rapidly nationwide and infected more than 1,300 people.

WHO said in a statement that children and young adults account for almost 80 percent of cases and more than 70 people have died.

Diphtheria, first reported in Yemen in October last year, is a contagious and potentially fatal disease that primarily infects the throat and airways.

WHO said Friday a vaccination campaign targeting 2.7 million Yemeni children has been completed in 11 governorates.

Yemen has been engulfed in a civil war pitting a Saudi-led coalition backing an internationally recognized government against Iran-backed Shiite rebels since March 2015.

The near three-year stalemated war has damaged Yemen's infrastructure, crippled the health system and pushed it to the brink of famine.

You may also interested in

Egypt censors play 'Before the Revolution,'...

Mar 18, 2018

Egypt's state censors have prohibited the performance of a play on the day of its Cairo premiere,...

Iranian director to skip Oscars over Trump's...

Jan 29, 2017

An Oscar-nominated Iranian director says he will not attend this year's Academy Awards because of a...

Iranian director sends video to message to US...

Feb 25, 2017

An Oscar-nominated Iranian film director has sent a video message to a rally attended by...

Avant-garde mosque angers hard-liners in Iran

Feb 25, 2018

Newly built avant-garde mosque in Iran's capital creates a stir with its design, infuriates...

Rubble and ash in Mosul museum retaken from...

Mar 8, 2017

The antiquities museum in the Iraqi city of Mosul is in ruins

About Us

Originally founded in 2015, Voyage Times publishes articles on travel and lifestyle for travelers, leisure seekers, and culture hunters from around the world.

Contact us: sales[at]voyagetimes.com

Subscribe Now!

Quick Links

HomePress