Egypt, Russia resume flights halted after 2015 attack

CAIRO — Egypt and Russia resumed direct flights on Thursday, more than two-and-a-half years after they were suspended in the wake of a bombing that brought down a Russian passenger plane over the Sinai Peninsula.

EgyptAir said in a statement its Moscow-bound flight took off from Cairo on Thursday and that it will operate three such flights a week. Earlier, an Aeroflot flight from Moscow carrying 124 passengers arrived in Cairo.

The move comes after prolonged negotiations, multiple Egyptian airport inspections and inking of security agreements to bring Russian tourists back to Egypt to revive the country's reeling industry.

Moscow suspended flights after the 2015 attack, which killed all 224 people on board and was claimed by the extremist Islamic State group. Russian officials said then that a homemade explosive device was detonated on board the plane, which had taken off from the main Sinai resort city of Sharm el-Sheikh.

The decision dealt Egypt's tourism industry a severe blow since the country relied heavily on the influx of Russian tourists. Egypt's tourism industry had already been weakened by years of unrest followed the 2011 uprising.

"Even though air service between Russia and Egypt has been interrupted for such a long time, the load factor on upcoming flights is more than 85 percent," Aeroflot said in a statement, adding that both airlines would offer daily flights from June 12 to July 2 to cope with heavy demand.

Egypt has sought to improve airport security since the 2015 attack, spending millions of dollars and bringing in foreign experts for inspections.

In December 2017, Egyptian and Russian officials signed a protocol on security cooperation paving the way for the flights resumption. Since the attack, Egypt said it has installed modern baggage-scanning equipment, surveillance cameras and finger-print security gates.

Direct flights between Russia and Egypt's popular Red Sea resorts have yet to resume. Britain, another major source of visitors to Egypt, suspended flights to Sharm el-Sheikh after the attack.

You may also interested in

Fire breaks out at building site of new Egyptian...

Apr 29, 2018

Officials say fire breaks out at building site of new Egyptian museum, no injuries or significant...

Egypt moves last chariot of King Tut to new museum

May 5, 2018

Egypt has moved the sixth and last chariot of famed pharaoh Tutankhamun to an under-construction...

Egypt increases fuel prices, as part of austerity...

Jun 16, 2018

Egypt's Ministry of Oil has announced steep increases in fuel and cooking gas prices as part of the...

Two communities show Nubians' past, a version of...

Jul 15, 2018

Two communities show Egypt's Nubians _ their grim reality today and their dreams of returning to...

Iran signs its biggest-ever car deal with...

Aug 7, 2017

Iran has signed the country's biggest-ever car deal to build tens of thousands of cars annually...

About Us

Originally founded in 2015, Voyage Times publishes articles on travel and lifestyle for travelers, leisure seekers, and culture hunters from around the world.

Contact us: sales[at]voyagetimes.com

Subscribe Now!

Quick Links

HomePress