Aid group says Yemen cholera outbreak has infected 1 million

SANAA, Yemen — The International Committee of the Red Cross says around 1 million people in war-ravaged Yemen are believed to have been infected in a cholera outbreak that began last year.

The outbreak, which began in October 2016 and escalated in April, has killed more than 2,000 people.

The Red Cross said Thursday that more than 80 percent of Yemen's population lacks food, fuel, clean water and access to medical care.

A Saudi-led coalition has been at war with Iranian-allied Houthi rebels in Yemen since March 2015. The fighting has killed more than 10,000 people, displaced 3 million and damaged critical infrastructure, fueling the cholera outbreak.

Even before the war, Yemen was the Arab world's poorest country.

You may also interested in

Iran displays ancient Persian artifacts returned...

Feb 8, 2017

Iran is displaying hundreds of ancient and Persian artifacts, some dating back as far as 3,500...

Avant-garde mosque angers hard-liners in Iran

Feb 25, 2018

Newly built avant-garde mosque in Iran's capital creates a stir with its design, infuriates...

Iran police's assault on woman over headscarf...

Apr 23, 2018

Video of police assaulting woman over her loose headscarf stirs debate on mandatory hijabs in...

Oliver Stone, visiting Iran, calls US a global...

Apr 25, 2018

Oliver Stone, making his first-ever visit to Iran, says the United States is a global "outlaw" that...

Japanese musician cancels Iran concert as band...

May 10, 2018

A Japanese new-age musician named Kitaro has reportedly cancelled a concert in Iran because his...

About Us

Originally founded in 2015, Voyage Times publishes articles on travel and lifestyle for travelers, leisure seekers, and culture hunters from around the world.

Contact us: sales[at]voyagetimes.com

Subscribe Now!

Quick Links

HomePress